From 2012-2013 I was the Society for Applied Philosophy’s 30th Anniversary Post-doctoral Research Fellow. My project examined the moral status of political violence carried out in the name of non-human animals and the environment.
My PhD, The Ethics of Animal Liberation, examined the conditions for legitimate civil ldisobedience, rescue acts, and third party defence in the name of non-human animals within the context of contemporary liberal democracy. As part of this I looked at the moral status of humans and other animals, the ethical dimensions of our treatment of non-human animals, liberalism, and political legitimacy.
CV: Curriculum Vitae
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles and Book Chapters
- Cooke, S. (2013) ‘Animal rights and environmental terrorism,’ Journal of Terrorism Research.
- Cooke, S. (2013) ‘Perpetual Strangers: animals and the cosmopolitan right’, Political Studies.
- Cooke, S. (2011) ‘Duties to Companion Animals’, Res Publica, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp.261-274.
- Cooke, S. (forthcoming) ‘Is Species Membership Morally Relevant?’, in Chan. S (ed), Humans and Other Animals: Challenging the Boundaries of Humanity, London: Bloomsbury.
Book Reviews and Other Articles
- Donaldson, S. and Kymlicka, W. (2012) Zoopolis: a Political Theory of Animal Rights, Oxford: Oxford University Press. Global Policy, Vol 3, Issue 2, p.255-256 (Invited review).
- Cooke, S. (2012), Beyond Animal Rights: Food, Pets and Ethics – By Tony Milligan; An Introduction to Animals and Political Theory – By Alasdair Cochrane. Political Studies Review, Vol. 10, No. 1, pp.94–95.
- Cooke, S. (2011) ‘Pain and suffering in non-human animals’, Manchester Salon, (July 2011)
Conference Papers and Presentations
- The Big Animal Research Debate, Manchester, 2013 (invited speaker).>
- ‘Animal Kingdoms: animal sovereignty and the right to secession’, Presented to MANCEPT Workshops in Political Theory 2013 (workshop convener).
- ‘Humane Intervention: Just War and Animal Rights’ (co-authored with Alasdair Cochrane), Presented to Society For Applied Philosophy, Annual Conference, 2013 (panel convener).
- ‘Agency, social structures, and secular evil: a response’, Presented to The Evil: secular approaches conference, 2012.
- ‘Perpetual Strangers: animals and the cosmopolitan right’ Presented to MANCEPT Workshops in Political Theory, 2012
- ”Humanitarian Intervention: humane not human’ Presented to the Society for Applied Philosophy Annual Conference, 2012
- ‘Justice for Wild Animals: models of sovereignty’ Presented to Animal Citizens, London School of Economics, 2011
- ‘Rescuing Captive Animals: grounding the moral permissibility of animal liberation’ Presented to MANCEPT Workshops in Political Theory, 2011
- ‘Predators and Prey: third party duties in conflicts between moral patients’ Presented to Workshops in Political Theory 2010 at Manchester Metropolitan University and MANCEPT Seminar Series 2010
- ‘On Cruelty’ Presented to Brave New World MANCEPT Graduate Conference, 2010